Wednesday 5 December 2012

It's too cold!


Just over a month ago I began the Dartrock Youth Open Bouldering Series which is a fantastic competition where you get four weeks to complete four boulder problems graded V0-V10. After the first day I had got stuck into the problems and did 24 of them and two days later I had finished the 25th problem. Results came out just over a month later and I had won the first round and had won the adults category too.



1st Ellis Butler-Barker- 264 points
2nd Alex Waterhouse- 223 points
3rd Tom Wright- 221 points
4th Charlie McFazden- 109 points
5th Andy Price- 107 points
6th...


Thursday 29th November I went out to Dartmoor for a head torch session with Thom Cole and Dan Woolnough, we arrived at Bonehill where I soon realised that I had left my jacket and hoody in the Dartrock car park, so I was absolutely freezing! We headed up to ‘The Moor’ - (‘The 2 poor holds on the right of the arete to the big slopey hold above. A contender for the hardest single move on The Moor’ (description from Javu.co.uk)) and ‘Arkem’ V8/9 which is my favourite problem on Dartmoor, an amazing arĂȘte with huge slopers. We started to warm-up on ‘Warm-up slab’ and soon got to work. After many attempts I had stuck the sloper but once I had realised it was too late to match and I was sitting on the pad with a strong feeling of exasperation! I looked at my hands and I had managed to ruin both my middle and little finger. With a taped up finger it was clear that I wasn’t going to get it that evening. Meanwhile Dan was getting very close on ‘Arkem’ and quickly sent it when trying the links.

On the weekend I spent all day Saturday at a freezing Torbryan Quarry where I had a semi-rest day climbing with Jack, Andy and Tom Wright. I did some cool routes which included; ‘Bedrock’ (F6b+), ‘Viscious Delicous’ (F7b), ‘Pebbles’ (F6c) and ‘Little White Lie’ (F7b) plus several others but they were my favourites.




Sunday; I went outdoors in the morning and found a really cool project on a roof then had a great session at Dartrock where I started completing the boulder problems for competition.

The Project...